Wednesday, May 26, 2010

North Korea vs. South Korea

Some of my friends back home have recently been asking me, "hey, what's the deal with North Korea? Are you safe there? What will happen if North Korea attacks South Korea?"

Here's what I know:

According to the recent New York Times article published here, North Korea has "cut[sic] all ties with South [Korea]" Also included in the article is a mention of "reports in Seoul that Mr. Kim ordered his military and reserve forces to be ready for war" Terrifying, right?

Certainly, Kim Jong-il is a tremendously feared (and justifiably so) leader, but does North Korea truly pose a threat to the South? While some, such as the author of the article, argue that this threat is unique from previous threats (and, indeed, threats are abundant and nearly constant, including skirmishes in 2000, 2003, 2006 and right after Obama was inaugurated in 2010). Differences include Kim Jong-il's preparations for his son to succeed his leadership (and his attempts to build up his son's military credentials and accomplishments) and the 8 weapons of mass destruction-worth of fuel that N. Korea is storing.

The future leader of North Korea: Kim Jung Un, described by former family chef as being "exactly like his father," and is expected to succeed his father instead of his older brother who was caught in 2001 attempting to sneak into Japan with a fake passport in order to go to Disneyland Tokyo.

As many know, this situation is related to the N. Korean attack of the South Korean ship, the Cheonnam. The Cheonnam marks the single greatest military loss in South Korea since the Korean War armistice was signed. Research indicated that the boat was sunk by a N. Korean missle. The United States supports this conclusion. Researchers and other military experts consider this attack the first military attack that N. Korea has made since the Korean War (all previous attacks were considered terrorist not military).

So, then, how are people feeling about N. Korea here? Well, some people are protesting avidly against N. Korea, arguing that something MUST be done, NOW, to right the Cheonnam incident. South Korea has reinstated propaganda radio broadcasts near the border. The inaugural broadcast was rung in on Monday with none other than South Korean music idols, 4Minute, and their new song HuH (Hit you Hard). With lyrics like, "When I say I want to appear on TV, when I say I want to become prettier, everybody says I can’t do it. Baby, you’re kidding me? I do as I please," 4Minute is clearly the best way to enlighten N. Koreans to the mistreatment and censorship they undergo daily.

 In South Korea, we are allowed to dress as fugly as we want. And I can become pretty or be on t.v. too. That'll "Hit You Hard" huh North Koera?

Oh, and Lee Myung-Bak has officially stated that N. Korea is their main enemy (for the first time since that clause had been dropped from SK's Defense White Paper list in 2006). I don't know who their main enemy was between 2006 and now, but apparently, it wasn't N. Korea.

 Lee Myung-Bak: "Maybe if we spin this arrow, we can figure out who to hate the most, now that North Korea is out."

Meanwhile N. Korea has decided to remove all South Korean officials from a NK/SKcooperative industrial park (but permit South Korean workers to stay...) and forbid South Korea from using North Korean seas and airspace. Korean Air and other major airlines have had to reroute some common routes that fly over N. Korea in order to comply with the development.

But, I'm evading the question. What is the feeling here? Well, I talked to my co-teacher and she said, "oh, no I'm not worried. It's election season after all" Wait, what? Election season? She told me that every time there is an election (even mid-term elections such as this year's) N. Korea ramps up the threat. It sort of makes sense (notice that the previous skirmishes were all 3 years apart... until now), but really, just for elections here?

Regardless, I'm feeling very safe in my big (albeit horrifyingly messy) apartment, working at my comfy public school job, and living very much alienated from the fact that that apartment and job is maybe 50 kilometers (just over 30 miles) from the demilitarized zone.

The general feeling is that South Korea is safe. But, every Incheon-ite I've talked to seems to say, "oh, I'm not worried at all about it" and then at the very end, trailing off, adds, "but, if something does happen, we'll definitely have to leave Incheon." So while they aren't worried, I think people have contingency plans.

That being said, what's my contingency plan? Well, probably to find a handsome, tall, perfectly sculpted Korean man with flawless hair to protect me of course. I've heard from Hollywood that that usually works perfectly. Right?

Oh, Taecyeon, I knew you'd come rescue me!

xoxo
A

4 comments:

  1. Haha is that true about KJI's son sneaking into Japan to go to Disney?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, yes it is true. Ridiculous, but true.

    ReplyDelete
  3. http://seoul.usembassy.gov/wwwh3597.html

    ReplyDelete