Saturday, December 19, 2009

Love Motel

Well, I had a crazy Thursday night. How I spent my Thursday night in a love motel:

I locked myself out of my apartment. I didn't realize I had locked myself out until I got home and couldn't find my key. You see, my apartment door locks automatically behind me and if I don't have my little key to let myself in, I can't do anything. So, at 11:45 at night, in freezing weather (legitimately... it was like 16 degrees outside) I was locked out of my apartment.

So I go downstairs to the security guard thinking maybe he has a master key or a keypad code to use to unlock the door. The security guard is sleeping when I approach his booth, and when I knock on the door and wake him up, he certainly looked less than thrilled. He emphatically waved to me to indicate GO AWAY, but I didn't. Instead, I opened the door myself and tried to pantomine a key, while saying, key oppsoyo (I don't have a key). He was just like, I don't know, go away. And so I was like, okay, I have to find someone who speaks english and korean to explain this prediciment. So I go to Family Mart because a lot of the clerks are younger and speak a little english and might be of some help. Naturally, it is my luck that this night, it was a girl who repeated emphatically, several times, "No Englishee" So, frustrated, I went back to the security guard to plead for help. More go aways.

I head upstairs to my apartment to try to use random number codes to get into my apartment. No luck. I'm crying. I had tried calling my coteacher a couple times, but since it was late, she was already asleep. Then, called my friend andre to see if he knew any korean speakers that might be able to help me. His friend joe called me and I went to the security guard to have him talk to him. The security guard then stepped out of his office/booth and said, no talk. HE WOULDN'T TALK TO THIS GUY IN KOREAN TO HELP ME?!?!!!!! But, he does usher me upstairs where he proceeds to rattle off a bunch of information in rapid Korean that I don't understand.

By a stroke of sheer luck, a couple step out of their apartment just as this is starting to get really awkward. This couple happens to be a Canadian man and his Korean (but fluent English speaking) girlfriend/wife. They ask whats going on and the woman begins to help me out. She started talking to the security guard and then started calling locksmiths to see what could be done. The locksmiths all said one of two things: 1) They were closed for the evening, or 2) The only thing they could do is rip the entire lock out of my door, thereby creating a giant hole in my door, and also making it impossible for me to lock my door until they replace it, at my expense. Unfortunately, this option was looking reasonable to me at the time. But the Korean woman suggested I just spend the night somewhere and deal with it tomorrow morning.

Good advice. So, I hop into a cab, and say, "Motel, chogiyo" Which means motel over there, while pointing to the area where all the cheap, seedy love motels are located near me. It was within walking distance but it was so cold and I was so flustered and upset that I refused to walk. I chose the least disgusting looking one, Motel White Castle, which actually turned out to be quite nice. I had a huge room, with a big bed, a couch, a toilet with heated seat, a HUGE ASS BATHTUB, which I didn't use, two computers, and a care kit that include bathrobes, toothbrushes (score), shower caps, facewash (score!) and condoms (less of a score). My apartment also had a phone charger which was really really clutch (all phones in Korea use a universal charger... USA, take note of this). I took a shower, and pretty much went right to sleep.

Woke up the next morning, went to school wearing the same clothes I had worn on Thursday, and explained everything to my co-teacher, who pulled out a spare key and said, here, go home and change. I'll take care of your first period class. THANK GOD!

Seriously, that is exactly what happened.

xoxo
A

1 comment:

  1. Oh geez! Good thing you have a super nice co-teacher because that sounds like an awful night. :(

    ReplyDelete