Monday, December 21, 2009

Christmas Time

It snowed on Sunday. One of my students texted me about it (this is a long story... my students know my phone number) and that was the only way I'd have known about it. I was in bed pretty much all day, trying to nurse a hangover. I got up around 5 p.m. to shower and finally get some food (I hadn't eaten all day). Hit up McDonalds where, to my chagrin, there were to families of Westerners with loud kids. You know you've been in Korea too long when you go somewhere and see Westerners and think, "God those westerners and their foreign ways, why can't they just try a little harder" I snarled at them a bit (and their kids who were going crazy in the play area climbing where they shouldn't have and then screaming wildly) and ate my chicken mcnuggets and bounced. Then had ramen for dinner at 10 p.m. Today my appetite is off. I wasn't very hungry at lunch, but now I am famished.

Anyways, this week I am showing A Charlie Brown Chistmas to my classes, and playing a word game (how many words can you make from the words Christmas Tree) and giving candy canes that my parents sent as rewards for the most words. It's gone over well. Students here don't know what candy canes are.

Anyhow, I'm trying to think of cool things to do next semester, and I am hoping to start pen pals with my grade 3s, but I need to find someone in the states who is teaching middle schoolers. I'm thinking maybe 6th graders or something. I will have about 100-150 grade 3 students and I would like to do a monthly penpal letter. My students would write their letters in class as part of their practice (homework is nonexistent here because students are so busy with school and then hagwons or private study) for one class period/month. Then, I would mail all the letters in a bundle back to the states and they students back at home in the states could respond. I am thinking that monthly would work okay. My students write a letter in class, I mail it the Friday at the end of the week, It gets to the States in about a week (so we are at 2 weeks time). Students in the states have a week to read and respond (homework?) and then US teacher sends bundle back to me (2 more weeks). Repeat. Repeat. Repeat. My students start in March. The only problem is that students would only be able to be penpals for 3 months. March, April, May, before school ends for summer vacation. That's the only downside.

It could still be fun for American students, and really really good practice for my students. If any of you know of some middle school teachers who would be interested in doing something like this, holla atcha girl.

So, Christmas is on Friday. It hardly feels like Christmas, even with the snow (of which there are still lots of remnants around my place). For a little while, weather.com indicated snow on Christmas, which would have been LOVELY, but it looks like they have since retracted that prediction. Bummer.

Ho Ho Ho bitches.

xoxo
A

1 comment:

  1. I want a Korean pen pal! I've never had a pen pal before!

    ReplyDelete