Sunday, November 15, 2009

Namsan Tower

This weekend, I got to see Ara again, which was really nice. She had been really busy studying for the GMAT, so we haven't hung out in almost a month, since we went to Gyeongbok palace. Ara took the GMAT on Thursday (she got a perfect score on the math section and is taking it again to improve her English score a little bit more), so she had more free time, which I was really really happy about. I met here at Hongdae, which is where a really big University is. Hongdae is really well known for a couple things: 1. bars/clubs and 2. Shopping and the material arts. On the weekends in Hongdae there is something called Free Market which is when students from the University sell things they made. The things that they sell vary from clothing and hats to stationary to jewelry to knick knacks and everything in between. I bought a little ceramic giraffe with blue spots to add to my growing collection of giraffe stuff. I'm up to 6 giraffe stuffed animals or figurines and 4 pictures of giraffes drawn by friends. Pretty good collection (thanks to Alisha, teen, kate, nicki, justin and Charlotte for adding to my collection), if I do say so myself. The Free Market was really neat, and I definitely want to go back again SOON. Maybe I can convince Bekah to come with me next week.

After Free Market, we went to this moderately well known coffeehouse called Snob. They serve a number of cakes, which are the most well-known thing at Snob. But, Ara and I weren't really hungry so we just got drinks. I got a caramel latte (SO DELICIOUS) and Ara got Earl Gray tea. They brought out the tea in a white ceramic tea pot and had a timer for the tea, and they made a design in the foam of my latte, and it was really nice. Also, the coffee shop was super warm, and it was really really cold outside, so it was perfect. See pictures here and on facebook.

Oh, as an aside, before I met Ara, I went to Myeong Dong (the big shopping area) to get some winter gear. I got my first ever pair of mittens (OMG SO CUTE), one of those beanie hats that everyone wears but I thought look stupid on me but this one didn't, and this sweater tunic (but in ivory) that I am going to wear tomorrow regardless of how cold it is (high of 41, so cold). I also bought a cream colored scarf that is super warm and comfy from a street vendor. YAY SHOPPING (Sorry Paigey, I just read your blog, but some of it I actually needed due to the weather).

Ara and I were Snob for a really long time just chatting and it was really nice to catch up with her there. After about 2 hours there, she realized she had missed several calls from here sister Aya who was going to meet up with us. She called her back and Aya came to the coffee house we were at and we talked a bit more while she warmed up (she waited outside in 30 degree weather for like half an hour).

After that, we went to dinner at this chicken restaurant in Hongdae that was quite delicious. Noodles and Chicken and a little bit spicy sauce and potatoes and then you add rice to the sauce and it was taaaaasty.

Then, we caught the subway to Myeongdong and walked a bit up the hill to get to a cable car that takes you to Namsan Tower (N'Seoul Tower). You can walk up the hill to Namsan Tower, but it was way way too cold for that. Namsan Tower is really famous in Seoul for the beautiful views you can get from the top of the tower. We didn't go to the top of the tower (we went a bit late) but even from the base of the tower, the view were amazing because the Tower is on the side of a big hill/small mountain (I'm not sure what it qualifies as). The top of the tower is 1500 feet above sea level, if that gives you any idea. Also at the base of the Tower, there is a Teddy Bear Museum that tells the history of Korea with Teddy Bears. I didn't go to the teddy bear museum this time around, but I assure you, I will. Seoul Tower is famous for their love locks which you can see in the picture. Basically, couples from all over Korea and the world come and attach a lock and a love note to the gates surrounding Seoul Tower as a symbol of everlasting love. In a moment of utter cynicism and gloom (inspired by my seemingly irrevocable singledom) I asked, rather loudly, "I wonder what percentage of these relationships ended. 70%?" You could see people at a cafe on the bottom of the tower writing their notes on little heart-shaped plastics, and I was just like, gee, I hope you two stay together. But, it really was cool, there are thousands of locks everywhere surrounding the tower. I am definitely looking forward to going back to the Tower to the top. Maybe during the day next time, to see a really great view of the city, plus to go to the Teddy Bear Museum. ^^

Today I played frisbee in freezing temps, which was awful. I'm not going to lie, though, it was nice to be back at disc hotel (bekah, beth and dave's place) for the weekend. Dave was happy to see me/drunk Saturday night when he got back from being out, and that was a nice welcome back to disc hotel. Next week I think I'm going to make some pancakes for the apartment for being such lovely hosts to me for the last 2+ months.

No comments:

Post a Comment