Friday, November 13, 2009

I wish

I wish I had the energy to create hot lists, but I simply don't. Additionally, I don't do anything interesting enough to warrant creating hot lists. I don't watch t.v. and I don't listen to new American music (although, Lady GaGa's new video for Bad Romance is fucking INSANE).

I would also add The Year of Living Biblically to my hot list if I had one. The book is by A.J. Jacobs, the same author who wrote The Know-It-All where he chronicles his experience reading the Encyclopedia Brittanica from A to Z. While The Know-It-All was humorous, I found it at times to be a bit contrived and TOO LONG (but when it's an attempt to summarize reading the WHOLE encyclopedia brittanica, what can you expect?), The Year of Living Biblically is sincere and, at moments, even laugh-out-loud funny. I'm finding out new things about the bible and a shocking desire to read the bible all the way through for once and take a shot at analyzing its contents entirely on my own, without the interpretive spin of a pastor, religion or church being fed to me. Will I suddenly become fundamental or evangelical or orthodox? Probably not. Or rather, definitely not, but the premise of the book (an agnostic liberal secular Jewish New Yorker following all of the biblical laws to the best of his ability) is an intriguing one.

I would also like to add that my life here in Korea is intense, and I've found myself suddenly in a swirl of emotions. Strangely, the emotions aren't bad, but I am full of wonder and surprise and elation and still uncertainty about everything that surrounds me. I think what is really striking me now is the question: "Am I really here, in Korea, on the other side of the earth from what I traditionally would call home?" And beyong that, "am I taking this experience for granted? Am I fulfilling that which I hoped to fulfill? What was/am I hoping to fill in the first place?" Korea is a joy and an enigma.

Now, I'm going to catch up on lost sleep, clean my apartment, and prepare for a wonderful weekend of laziness. Good day to you all!

xoxo,
A

1 comment:

  1. I liked "Living Biblically". His latest book, "The Guinea Pig Diaries", was good, but not great.

    Driving this afternoon, I found a station on my Sirius Radio that is dedicated to Korean News, broadcast 100% in Korean! Way cool!

    ReplyDelete