Tuesday, May 3, 2011

The Rest of my Birthday and a Review of Yeolbong, Se7en's Chicken Restaurant

Well, my birthday was last Friday, and I'm finally all caught up on my sleep/work/activities/promises, so here is the recap of my birthday.

In my last post I wrote about my birthday morning, and here's the conclusion:

At school I got a package from my parents: birthday gifts. A cute Betsey Johnson bracelet and hair pins, and such. Really cute things. I put those in my Nike bag with that big ol' card Hoon gave me. ^_^

After school, I went off to Baskin Robbins, not knowing what to expect. When i arrived at Baskin Robbins, I walked in and approached the girl at the counter. I simply said, Hi, I'm Allison... and she said, "아~ 케이크~!" Cake??? What cake?? Jong Hoon got an ice cream cake for me (last time we went to BR I had said ice cream cakes are my favorite... he must have remembered). On top of the ice cream cake box was another note.

The note said, go to the 아디다스 store. (Adidas Store). !!!!! The Adidas Store was across the street so off I went with the ice cream cake box and the Nike bag (with a balloon a student gave me tied to it lol) over to the Adidas Store. I walked in and the worker immediately looked at me and said "아! 옷~!" Clothing??? What clothing? And he walked to the back and gave me an adidas bag with some soccer pants I've been wanting for a while. Inside the bag was also a letter which was from him. SO CUTE.

I went home, changed and got ready for our date.

We met at Noryangjin and went to Sinsa station, to Garo-su-gil to eat dinner at 열봉찜닭. This restaurant is owned by musician Se7en, who is someone I really admire. I've been hoping to go to his restaurant for a long time. It's really easy to get to, which is good because I had never been to Garo-su-gil before, and it wasn't too hard for us to find it. ^^

The restaurant is located on the second floor just off the main road. We walked up the stairs and of course you are greeted by a cardboard cutout of Se7en님. We took pictures before we left to commemorate our time there.

The restaurant is quite small, smaller than I had thought, but it was tidy, and well-decorated. Dark wood tables, white light fixtures and semi-private nooks for some parties. Most seating is open, however, and they do try to fit as many tables in as they can. Even though it was tight, it didn't feel particularly cramped, but I did notice that even without all the seats filled, it was still quite loud. There are several fake trees adorned with chili peppers and pictures of celebrities, which are fun additions to the decor. On the left wall as you enter, they have posted numerous pictures and autographs of celebrities including members of Miss A, Big Bang, Park Han Byul, 2AM, as well as other actors and singers I don't remember or didn't recognize.

All of the dishes are branded with the cute chicken mascot of Yeolbong or with the chili pepper that also is used to represent the restaurant. The menu is divided into two sections. The left side is the traditional spicy jjim dalk (열봉 means really spicy, or something along those lines, that's my boyfriend's explanation) and the right side is Se7en's specialy chicken. Supposedly that's really spicy. We decided to go with the traditional spicy side.

On the spicy side you can choose your spiciness level 1-3 peppers. We got one, because we didn't know how spicy it would be. Boy were we glad we ordered level one spicy. IT WAS LIKE EATING FIRE. It was really spicy. I mean, I like spicy food, and so does Hoon, and this was quite spicy. Not unpleasantly spicy, but I can't fathom ever eating any level higher than that. I think I'd die.

We were sucking in air through our teeth and gulping 쿨피스 (Coolpis -- a fruit juice that is amazingly effective in countering extreme spice) after just two bites.

Even though it was spicy, it was really delicious. The chicken was cooked perfectly. It was not difficult to get off the bone (although if you are not adept at chopsticks use, I would recommend asking for a fork), and the carrots and potatoes were cooked like a dream. The noodles were probably the most spicy (the soak up all the sauce which makes them extra intense) but they were also SO delicious.

Afterwards, we added rice (which also had dried seaweed laver and tofu mixed in) and mixed it up. If you do go, I recommend ordering the rice at the end, after you finish your meal. It comes out really quickly, and that way its still piping hot when you add it to your slightly cooled sauce. We didn't do that, and it's a shame. IT was still good, but we imagine it'd be much much better if we had eaten it still hot...

On the whole, I would definitely recommend this to any spicy food lover traveling to Seoul. Also, I recommend it for anyone who is a big kpop/kdrama fan (just order the mild... it's listed under the main section on the left. It is less than one pepper, lol. The Right side is more spicy!!!) and is interested in looking at the pictures and even have a chance to glimpse a celebrity while you eat.

As for portions, 반마리 is half a chicken and it's enough for two-three people. There are two larger sizes, 한마리 and 한마리반 (one chicken, and 1 1/2 chicken respectively). For two-three people, you can order just one of the special rice dishes (남두 밥) and you'll be all set. Definitely add a 쿨피스 to cool you off if your feeling all spiced out!

Price: $$ for Korean food, it's a bit pricey. But for westerners, it's very reasonable for a dinner. 반마리 + 남두밥 + 쿨피스 came out to about 25,000 won, which is about 23.50usd, for two. A gut-bustingly filling meal for less than 12usd per person? Not too bad, I'd say. But, if you're pinching pennies, I'd say go for the bibimbap. lol

Food: *****/ 5 out of 5 - I don't have a lot to complain about with our food. The only complaint I'd have is that we foolishly ordered our rice too early (my fault). The flavor was excellent. Spicy but flavorful. Chicken was moist and tender. Vegetables thoroughly but not over-cooked. Noodles cooked perfectly.

Service: ****/ 4 out of 5 - There was nothing wrong with the service, but nothing to write home about. I think they are used to seeing celebrities and therefore treat their normal patrons with general indifference. Don't take that the wrong way. I just mean that some restaurants (not so many in Korea) treat their patrons with excellent service regardless. Here, in Korea in general, wait staff don't bend over backwards for their patrons. If you need them, call them. If you don't, don't expect them to check up on you because they won't.

Atmosphere: **** / 4 out of 5 - The decor was lovely. A nice mix of playful sophistication. The colors were good for the restaurant and the concept. The furniture was aesthetically pleasing. But it was a bit loud. I don't know if the acoustics of the restaurant need improving or if it's just a result of packing a few too many chairs into a restaurant. Some restaurants are meant to be loud an noisy. But the noise level didn't really fit the rest of what the restaurant, stylistically, seemed to be going for. In my opinion, they could stand to lose seating for maybe 5-8 patrons. I think that giving up that seating would make for a better atmosphere by far...

Overall: 4.5/5 I had a great time and it's definitely some place I'd recommend.

No comments:

Post a Comment