Tuesday, February 15, 2011

My Valentine's Day mistake

Welp, Valentine's Day was yesterday and it was pretty good overall. At school in the daytime,  I made that really cute card, which Hoon really loved and was super surprised that I made all by myself. Plus, the chocolates and peppero that I made turned out super great and the bags and everything were just about perfect. Like a professional! ^^

Then, there was this little mistake. I was planning to make this positively delicious tomato cream sauce pasta that I got a recipe for off Pioneer Woman (who just so happens to be one of my idols).

Well, after school finished, I went to EMart to pick up some ingredients (pasta, tomato sauce, cream, parsley). The problem I have with E-Mart is that their dairy section is constantly changing. Some items that they carry get removed mysteriously practically overnight. And others move to completely different locations, and then coffee drinks replace them. This is what happened to the heavy cream which three weeks ago, there were several different brands of and plenty of them at that. Yesterday, at EMart, I circled the coffee/cream/butter/cheese refrigerator three times without success. Then, finally I saw it! 크림! Cream! I snatched it up and was off.

Then I got home. As I was unpacking the food, lo and behold I discover this cream caveat that I didn't originally notice: *휘핑* 크림 aaaaaaaaaaaaaack. Whipping Cream.

For those of you who are completely clueless about cooking you absolutely cannot use whipping cream in a cream sauce pasta dish. Unless you want to make yourself sick. So here I was with two cups of whipping cream and no heavy cream. So I decided to make my way to Home Plus, another significantly larger supermarket in Korea. I was certain that what EMart lacks (which is often does, and in many ways) HomePlus would surely have.

I was wrong.

The dairy section (or more specifically the milk and cream section was virtually empty). I heard a rumor that they were going to stop selling milk in Korea and it looks like Home Plus was hit hard. They had hardly any milk at all. And the cream? I found the little price marker on the shelf for the cream, but there wasn't a bottle or jug or carton of the stuff to be found. Sure, I could find liters of strawberry milk, and about 2 dozen soy milks, but one 250 mL carton of cream? Completely gone.

So I gave up, after many an "아아아아 진짜? 없어? 어떻게? 정말 어떻게 하지?" and decided to make macaroni and cheese with cut up hot dogs.

Hoon may have been happier with the mac & cheese than he ever would have been with the pasta anyways. Funny how that works.

xoxo
A

No comments:

Post a Comment