Saturday, November 6, 2010

waste

I just wasted the entire day.

But I wanted to share some stories.

Last night I went out for dinner/drinks with the boy and his cousin, who is an electrical engineer for SK. It was hilarious and really really really fun.

His cousin is crazy, but in an awesome way. He told lots of really funny stories. My favorite:

Me: I really want to buy a scooter.
Boy: Nooooooooo. Not safe.
Cuz: I had a scooter once.
Boy: 맞아, tell about the time you had an accident.
Me: *horror* you had an accident??
Cuz: *laughs heartily* yes. I was really drunk.
Me: OH GAH. *horror x1000*
Cuz: And I was driving on an access road and I realized, hey, I'm not supposed to be here, because it's not for scooters.
Me: uh-huh...
Cuz: So I turned right onto a street near Yongsan and I saw just a shadow.
Me: *Cringing in fear* Oh god, uh-huh...
Cuz: And I hit a tank.
Me: Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa?????
Cuz: I hit a tank. A military tank. Well, actually I fell under the tank.

Yes, folks, that's right. He hit a fucking tank. And fell under the tank. I'm not sure if the tank was moving, but I'm going to assume no. Evidently he ended up with just a bunch of bad scratches, and was okay. He didn't realize he was bleeding. But someone there told him. Phew.

Korean people are bat-shit crazy.

This story also reminds me of this time I was at a bus stop on this MAJOR road (3/4 lanes each direction). I was waiting for my bus home, and this lady comes up with her children, ages maybe 4 and 7. The seven year old sits nicely next to his mom. The 4 year old however is curious and wanders around a bit, which makes me nervous. We are next to a major road mind you. The child, in his curiosity, steps down off the sidewalk curb and into the bus lane and I almost pee my pants with anxiety. The child walk around a bit, and the mom looks over and is like, oh, hey, Minsu, come over here all nonchalant as if her extremely young child wasn't in the middle of a bus lane where bus come rolling through at speeds fast enough to effectively smash grown men and women flat.

I think this is one of the only things I hate about Korea. The non-caring attitude people seem to take about driving and pedestrianism. People literally think, oh, it won't happen to me, and they drive like crazy mother fuckers. Or they think, oh no one will hit me and cross streets recklessly or other such things.

Thats it y'all.
A

No comments:

Post a Comment