Thursday, November 4, 2010

Mid-Term Elections from Afar, and others

These subjects appear in no particular order of importance, but it should be noted that the McDonalds news is probably the most important. Not really though. I'm not that much of a fatty.

The Things I learned from the 2010 Mid-Term Elections


It should also be noted that I didn't vote in this year's round of elections, although I wish I had because it was so depressing. Not that it would have mattered because mail-in votes aren't counted unless it's really close, right?

Nonetheless, Democrats lost their hold on the House but managed to maintain more than half the senate seats, in spite of losing 6 seats to Republican control. Florida voted Republican virtually across the board. I can take a half-hearted pride in the fact that my home county of Palm Beach swayed slightly to the vote away from Republican Senate Seat winner, Marco Rubio, in favor of independent Charlie Crist (current Florida governor, a former Republican party member, and a pro-choice and socially moderate candidate). However, Marco Rubio won in something like 59 or 60 of the 64 counties in Florida. Additionally, the governorship was won by Republican Rick Scott in a much closer race over Alex Sink, who previously held the office of CFO for the State of Florida. Again, Palm Beach County and my University's county both voted Democrat. But alas, it was not to be. Rural Florida beats urban florida yet again (Miami, Palm Beach, Broward, Orange, St. Lucie, Hillsborough and Leon counties, which are home to 8 of the 10 largest cities by population, and 4 of the 5 largest metro areas in the state, all voted Democrat).

Also, Prop 19 failed in California. It doesn't really affect me in any way, but it'd have been nice to see that prop pass because people are stupid about marijuana, and because California is struggling with one of the greatest financial crises in the country now, and I think Prop 19 could have potential helped in at least some small way. Oh wells.

Next, this website is awesome: http://whatthefuckhasobamadonesofar.com/ Aside from the rather vulgar site name, it's a pretty good site. I mean, everyone is pretty much shitting all over Obama, and it's nice to see some people sticking up for the fact that Obama has done 100s of little things to change America. Sorry he hasn't entered America into new wars or passed hugely controversial and famous bills. He has done a lot of little things, and they are far less awful than the shit Bush did.

Lastly, McDonalds has brought the quarter pounder with cheese and double quarter pounder to Korea. Now, I never actually ate this burger in America because I pretty much never ate at McDonalds, but now that I'm here, I eat McDonalds probably every week for it's sheer convenience. I think I'll avoid the double quarter pounder because I kind of think that's gross (I'll add I've never had even one bite of a big mac before, and I'd like it to stay that way) but the quarter pounder with cheese could be tasty.

Lastly, I almost killed my high school boys yesterday. I'm gonna lose it one day and just go off on them and they won't know what him them. They are so freaking annoying. It's always the same class... first period and they consistently ruin my day.

That's it.

xoxo
A

No comments:

Post a Comment