Thursday, September 30, 2010

What's with the gas masks, y'all?

So, B2ST (pronounced beast, because 2 in korean is 이 which is pronounced like the hard e sound), just released their music video for 숨. I initially wasn't a huge B2ST fan, just because I always thought I could only like Big Bang, but now I've really been expanding my horizons and I've discovered that B2ST is actually pretty dope, in spite of the fact that some of them have really horrifyingly bad hair (see HyunSeung, who happens to be a former member of pre-debut Big Bang, and has always had really terrible hair-- you'll know who he is because he's the one with god-awful hair). Anyways, they're new video is posted below.

BUT, before we get to that, I'd like to point out that B2ST is a group under Cube Entertainment, which is an affiliate of JYP. JYP's newest girl group phenomenon, Miss A just released their new single, called Breathe.

I only mention this because 숨 (pronounced Soom) is the Korean word for breathing or respiration. So within one week of each other, two JYP-affiliated groups released songs called, essentially, 'Breathe'. I mean, coincidence, I guess, right? The songs really aren't about the same thing: Miss A's is about first love and someone 'taking your breath away' as the saying goes. B2ST's is about feeling suffocated by the losing your love. So clearly kind of opposite. However, in the chorus of both, they say (miss A): No, I can't breathe" and (B2ST) "I can't take my breath...I can't hold my breath" Okay, pretty similar. But the videos? They're totally different right? I mean Miss A is all spunky and bright and reggae, and B2ST has Prepix's characteristic choppy choreography and is really dark and sad. Well, they have more in common than I noticed at first. My first observation is that they both use gas masks. GAS MASKS? In both videos? That's a bit strange. Also, the choreography in both has kind of stop-action type moves (I'm not sure if it's actually stop-action film editing or if it's the choreography, or a combination there of). Anyways, the songs are obviously different, I just thought it was interesting to see the two songs have some similarities.

Watch both of them now! With English subs!





xoxo
A

1 comment:

  1. Just found your blog. I read Korean blogs regularly and wanted to comment that I find your blog very unique. I like that you're doing a pop culture blog focused on Korean pop culture. Many blogs will touch on it, but not many have the depth of commentary plus videos. Good work!

    ReplyDelete