Monday, August 2, 2010

CD Review: Se7en- Digital Bounce

So I downloaded Se7en(also written Seven)'s newest album, Digital Bounce, the day that it came out. Then I bought the cd at my earliest convenience, when I went to Times Square Mall yesterday. Luckily I went there with Coleen, because this week when I buy his cd, I can enter a contest to see him at a fan signing on Saturday. So I did that, obviously, and I'm preparing the gift/letter that I will give him that professes my love and expresses my desire for him and Taeyang (they are both YG after all).

Anyways, Se7en is pretty darn famous in Korea. He's been around for a long time (this is his fifth Korean album), and he's had a huge amount of critical success in the country, in spite of a failed attempt to break into the Korean market. I have all of his other albums downloaded (except for some reason his next most recent Se7olution, which I plan to dl tonight). Like my Taeyang Solar Review, this review is gonna be biased because I love him so much. Also, I will definitely be translating this album on www.reallykpop.com as soon as I finish translating 2PM's Don't Stop Can't Stop mini-album (this week).

So, here's my play-by-play

1. Reset (Intro)- This is a pretty long intro at 55 seconds. And I really think it sets the tone for this album. In this album, Seven really experiments with more electronic-based music, and more dance music. This album also seems to have a lot of auto-tune, which is a drag, but his live-performances have been auto-tune free and really really impressive. In this intro, Seven says, "y'all ready for this?/Something y'all ain't used to" He's right. This is something that we Seven fans aren't used to. Sure, from his first album (Just Listen) to his next most recent (Se7olution), his sound changed tremendously from a lot and a lot of ballad singing to an edgier dancier vibe. But still, seven is a singer of the most pure breed. A real r&b singer. And this cd seems to depart from that. I get the impression that his time in the United States has really changed his music style. And, frankly, I'm not sure everyone is ready for this. But, even though it's different, I still really like it. Oh and did I mention that he totally says y'all, which I love.

2. Digital Bounce (featuring T.O.P.)- This song is quite possibly the most catchy song of the summer. I'm about to blow the minds of my faithful readers, but I like this song more than almost any song on Solar (taeyang's solar album), and I really really really love 영배 with every ounce of my body. But this song just gets in your head and reverberates with such intensity. The chorus is all in English and fairly simplistic. But it's simplicity is what makes it memorable. Seven really embraces the electronic nature of the album with this song, referencing supersonic waves, robo-cops, and a digital world. Also, T.O.P.s rap on this song is absolute fire. The more I listen to top, the more I really really like him. He went from my least favorite to a contender with Daesung for number 2 (Taeyang will always be my one and only). I mean, his voice is built for rapping. Like, there aren't many voices that are tonally naturally equipped to sound pleasing while rapping (that was part of the appeal of hip-hop at the roots, the gritty raw non-traditional-music sound), but his seems to fit perfectly. He's really talented. Oh, and the choreography is equallly easy and catchy, so I can dance along at will!

3. Better Together- This song is the official first song, although on his comeback stages, he is performing both this song and Digital Bounce. This song also embraces the electronic nature of the album. I really like the stuttering when Seven says, "They call me Se se se seven, 넌 나의(you're my) hea hea hea heaven" There are other stuttery parts that are just really catchy and fit with the beat really well. This song also displays Seven's range really well, especially towards the end when it slows down a bit and then gets back to the original tempo and Seven really turn it out vocally. My one complaint with this song is there is this annoying sound effect littering the background. It's kind of like an airhorn meets a shooting star (in my mind). It's a really popular sound for DJs to drop in clubs, and I find it super annoying. It's used too frequently in this song and it really irks me. Luckily during the chorus, it's not used at all because there is a tempo change that renders the sound effect unnecessary.

4. I'm Going Crazy- This song seems to be a bit out of place given the first three tracks. It's the "slow jam" of the album. It's still not nearly as slow as some of his old work. Plus, it still has a slightly electronic feel. It's heavy on the drum set and has some definitely space-agey keyboard work. The music itself (instrumentals) is kind of sub-par for me. The lyrics also, don't blow me out of the water. But, this song showcases his phenomenal vocals quite well. I just wish the the music was a little less like something Disney would produce for Miley Cyrus or whoever their next big name is, and a little more like his older slow songs, where the music was really quality and the vocals remained the same. Oh man, his voice really is beautiful in this song. The lyrics, by the way, for this song were written by Teddy.

5. Money Can't Buy me Love- This song seems like a Beatles throwback, but it's a totally different theme. Instead of saying, girl, you can buy my love, it's about spending all this money on a girl but discovering that she didn't want his money, she just wanted his attention and love. This song is really sad. It's kind of Justin Timberlake-y during the Cry me a River era. I really like the music for this song. I feel like if you took the vocals off, the music could hold its on. Then you add Seven's vocals and I'm sold. This song is not something you'll here at the club, and it's not really a ballad, but it's that perfect song that's right in the middle that you can listen to when you're happy or when you're sad. Also this song is in English, and his English really is phenomenal. He even says the word hoopty (regarding a broke down car) which is pretty tight.

6. Drips- I fucking love this song. Again, it's got the full on Electronic dance vibe, starting with the computerized woman's voice saying, "Push the button. High. Loud. Start." and then breaking into a beat I can definitely get down to in the club. Seven says, "just let it drip. Just let it drip. Just let it drip. Just let it drip." I'm not sure what I'm allowing to drip, but if Seven says so, I will just let it drip. Then, he breathily begins, "Can u feel feel 이 뜨거운 열기 꿈 속을  헤메이듯 feel so good" which translates roughly to "Can you feel feel the heat in this dream, This wondering feels so good." And honestly, just the way he says it makes me want to go to bed with him right now and feel the heat that ISN'T a dream. The breathy way he lays the chorus on you is so sexy and raw. Also, there is a "oooh" that is nearly orgasmic. LOVE IT. I will just pretend this song is being song by Seven just for me.

7. Roller Coaster- The beginning of this song seems like it was ripped off from song American song that I can remember the title of. Like, it seems virtually plagarized because I'm almost certain I've heard the beginning before. Then he says something like "다다다른 걸" which is find, but it sounds like something from a girls kpop group, if it wasnt about another girl. Plus, the roller coaster metaphor is a bit played out. Plus, this song is a little auto-tuney for me. But still, when he's not on the auto-tune, he still sounds really good. I do think it's a bit unfortunate that the album ends with this song which I think is a bit mediocre. It's not terrible, it's just not a hit.

If I was grading by the standards that I grade by at school, I'd give this album a "Very Good! ^_^" But it wouldn't get a "Perfect!" or a Hello Kitty sticker. But it would be a situation where I look at the paper and say, man, I really want to give this a hello kitty sticker because it's so good, but it's not quite perfect, and I can't do that.

So, I won't. Sorry, Seven. No Hello Kitty sticker for you.

Unless you are actually reading this, in which case, you can have as many hello kitty stickers as you want, plus my body, to do with it as you wish.

You can buy his album at www.yesasia.com or, if you live in Korea, at any major retailer selling music cds. I recommend 신나라 in the 신세계 department store only because they have lots of events with the stars. Also, check out his official website at www.hello7.com

xoxo
A

1 comment:

  1. "Unless you are actually reading this, in which case, you can have as many hello kitty stickers as you want, plus my body, to do with it as you wish.
    "
    Ok i'm an anonymous reader, but that sentence totally cracked me up, so i thought i might comment : i really like your blog (well i'm a fellow kpop fan, foreigner in Korea (though just for a few weeks), and i like humor, so no surprise here)

    Looking forward to reading you !

    Caroline

    ReplyDelete