Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Funny things in Korea

This isn't the predicted next post, but I had to let you all know.

While shopping today for Christmas gifts (LOEF secret santa halfway done, Melly halfway done, plus nail polish, headband,necklace,and hairclip for me ^^) I saw two hilariously awesome articles of clothing. The first was a sweatshirt/sweatpants combo that had this written in HUGE all-caps lettering across the chest and down the left leg: FAT. bwahaha. Next, a sweater with a bear in a sweater on it. Caption of the picture reads, "Recession, got no job, but my tan looks fine." Oh Korea, you slay me. Unfortunately, I didn't have my camera with me, so I couldn't capture these two gems. This was in the same place that has a store called Jeworld, which makes me think they sell Jews, but it's actually Jewelry.

Also, two of my students made me SUPER happy the other day. I don't know if I have mentioned this on here before, but my school has this thing where students get stamps from me for speaking English to me. They all have a piece of paper with a maze type thing on it and they get one stamp per English sentence that they speak to me, with a max of three stamps/day. As a result, I am ridiculously busy between classes and after school. Students are literally sprinting to be the first to talk to me (and thus be guaranteed plenty of time to create and say their sentences as I often have to rush some girls or simply tell students, sorry, next time. After class). Last week sometime, two friends came together and one of them was talking to me about books. Apparently, many of my students have read some English and American classics. I've spoken to some students before about Grapes of Wrath and the Great Gatsby. This girl asked me if I like reading, and I said yes. They she said, no joke, do you know the book Jane Eyre? Oh course, I said. She then proceeded to tell me that was HER FAVORITE BOOK. She knew that Charlotte Bronte was the author and was able to talk about it. I about peed my pants because Jane Eyre is one of my favorite books. What are the odds?

The next girl wanted to talk to me about movies. She asked who my favorite actor is and I proudly announced Jim Carrey (in the States this garners shameful looks and shock as Jim Carrey is NO ONE's favorite actor, but here, students fully appreciate my Jim Carrey love because he is pretty well known. My student then said, "Oh! He's my favorite actor!" Too much right, I was sure they had some how found out that I loved this book and actor, but how? The student then proceeded to say, "My favorite Jim Carrey movie is Truman Show. Do you know?" And I pretty much leaped out of my chair and hugged her because IT'S MY FAVORITE MOVIE OF ALL TIME. And I was searching their faces for some sort of prior knowledge, but they were as surprised by my enthusiasm as I was.

I was SO happy. I showed them my facebook page to show that those really are my favorite movie and book. They were really happy too. But it was awesome!

That's all.

2 comments:

  1. Ugh. you and that silly Jim Carrey fixation. I would definitely shoot you a shameful look about that. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE Jim Carrey. I Cannot waaaait to see the new "christmas story"! The animated character looks JUST like him, but older.

    No shameful looks from me!!

    Besides, when he's not doing his weird faces I think he's kinda cute too!

    ReplyDelete