Saturday, November 21, 2009

Good Morning Korea

Just woke up here. It was supposed to maybe snow last night, but it didn't. It DID snow a couple nights ago, though. I didn't see the snow falling, but I saw snow on the ground, which was awesomely cool! I am up early for no apparent reason except that my body has clearly adjusted to getting up at 6:45 a.m. everyday. So, yeah.

I've been cutting out feathers this morning. It's been a busy day already. So, this week is Thanksgiving, obviously. In Korea, of course, they don't celebrate this holiday and so I wanted to introduce it to my students. And I though, gee, what better way than to make hand turkeys? It's the classic Thanksgiving art project and my students LOVE to do arts and crafts. So, I'm going to do a powerpoint about Thanksgiving for 10 minutes, and dedicate the other 35 minutes to hand turkeys. I figure it will take 10-15 minutes to make five I'm thankful for ___________ sentences, and then 20 minutes for everything else, the assembly of hand turkeys. I had considered having the students cut out their own feathers, but I assure, that would have taken 20 minutes of the class just to draw and cut so they would never be finished at the end of class. So, I thought, I'll just cut out feathers. I printed out several pages of feathers (I'm not good enough to free hand them) and started cutting. After about 72 feathers (I printed 72 of each color in the first round) I did the calculations, and it suddenly struck me that I have to cut out roughly 3000 feathers. Now here I am at just over 300, 10% done, and I think I'm going to kill myself. haha. My over-ambition is biting in the butt yet again.

As an aside, I'm going to a wedding this afternoon for one of my coworkers. I'm really looking forward to it, even though my co-teacher has warned me that it's not very interesting and it's really really short (30 minutes + eating and you go home)

Also, yesterday sucked. Well, yesterday was awesome, but the after school hours SUCKED.I got out of school early (my coteacher wanted to go somewhere, and I had a bill to pay, so I was cool with her using me as an excuse to get out early). Last time I had this bill to pay, I went to work on a day off (founders day of my school) and paid. This time, however, I got to the bank too close to closing time and they wouldn't do it. Luckily, my bill can be paid at other places, like the SHOW store. Show is the company that provides my phone service, and they are a subsidiary of the company that provides my internet service, which is what my bill was for. So I go to the Show store about 10 minute walk from the bank and give them my bill and my debit card. She asked for my Alien Registration Card, which is normal. I give it to her, and then after some typing, she says to me (in Korean) something along the lines of, your ARC card doesn't match you account information. Do you have another id number? At which point I realized I needed my passport because it is what I used to open my bank account, not my ARC. Unfortunately I didn't have my passport, and could only remember the first half of the numbers. So, I couldn't pay my bill. This was really frustrating. Supposedly I can pay it at the convenience store, which I will try today, but if that doesn't work, I'm going to rip my hair out and scream. And probably cry.

So yeah. That's that. Now it's time to focus on cutting out more paper feathers.

xoxo
A

No comments:

Post a Comment