Saturday, October 17, 2009

Weather

Holy shit, the weather here is OUT OF CONTROL. It looked like an average fall day the whole time I was at school. Not too sunny, but not terribly overcast either. After work, I went home, read a bit, took a nap, and when I wake up, I think I hear some thunder. nah, I think, it was so nice out earlier.

Alas, foiled. Go to Family Mart, top off my T Card, step outside to discover it's raining.

"Okay," I think, "that's how we are going to play this game, huh, Incheon?"

I run back upstairs, grab my umbrella and head back down. At this point it is actually raining, not drizzling. It's not a downpour, but it's enough to make my work pants damp and heavy around my ankles and very relieved to have remembered an umbrella.

It stops raining at some point in the evening, while we are at dinner, and we head to Goose Goose for drinks after (yes, the name of the bar is Goose Goose, what of it?)

Afterwards, I head to the train, take the train to the bus stop. Take the bus to my apartment. While crossing the street, I notice a flicker of lightning just off in the distance and I started urging the traffic signal to change and let me cross.

Got back to my apartment just in the knick of time. I get up stairs, sit down, and it is suddenly POURING. We are talking , blankets of rain, bright white lightning streaking the sky, booming, cracks of thunder, and a positively howling wind. I am sitting at my computer facebooking, minding my own business, when what is obviously a particular stong gust of wind blows and knocks the door to where my a/c unit is hidden away open. I'm not joking, the door is thrown open and wind whips through my apartment like I'm in Kansas, and oh no Toto, here we go again. I force the door shut, only to have it blow right back open again seconds later. Repeat. Repeat. Repeat.

I finally chose to tape the door shut about 10 minutes ago.

Now? raining, but no thunder, lightning, or wind? What the heck Incheon? What the heck?

As an aside:
After dinner, I tried to go get a copy of Taeyang's new album, "Where U At?' with Miranda but unfortunately had NO luck. We stopped by McDonalds before heading to Goose Goose, and ordered some sundae ice cream (in korea, they flip the phrase so it's not an ice cream sundae, it's sundae ice cream, pronounced sunday i-suh cuh-ream-uh) and coke. We sit down to enjoy our treats (the ice cream sundae is easily the most delicious thing I've ever tasted, with hot fudge in just the perfect proportion to soft-serve, and all for 1000 won, or just under a buck)

While we are relaxing, giggling about how SEXY Taeyang is, this Korean man hustles by us wearing a bright orange zip-up jumpsuit (some sort of uniform) and carrying a net. A large net, in which you might catch something. He goes behind the McDonalds counter authoritatively and disappears behind the soda fountain and burger assembly line. All the customers got suddenly quiet and watched this man, and there were about 8 people outside, staring through the window, trying to determine what was going on. I hardly noticed him (I was so distracted imagining Taeyang), but when another guy in the same orange uniform came stomping in, I couldn't help but take notice. I happened to recognize the picture of a dog on a patch on the second man's sleeve. I quickly put two and two together as a McDonalds employee hurriedly addressed the man, pointing is several directions. She was, I deduced, explaining the route of some sort of animal which these jumpsuited men were to capture and remove from the premises. Luckily I had all but finished my ice cream, and safely avoided a quick vom as miranda and I scurried out like two mice frightened away by the animal catchers.

It was crazy.

That is all.

xoxo,
A

3 comments:

  1. geeez. animal catchers?? fuun. Also, your weather would drive me crazy I think...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Whaaaaaaaaa... wild animal in McDonald's? Nuts!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It was crazy. The animal catchers and the weather.

    The door blew open again in an even worse storm on Sunday night. Added another 4 pieces of tape to the door. Hahaha.

    ReplyDelete