Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Dream Concert 2009

This post had to be labeled 2009, because I will inevitably return for another Dream Concert (it's held annually). Ok. So this shall be the epic post about my weekend. And by epic, I mean it's epic only if you love me a lot and care about the things I do or if you are really into kpop. If both statements fit you, this will be a good blogpost.

So Dream Concert was this Saturday, October 10 (HAPPY BIRTHDAY SARAH COMSTOCK! I LOVE YOU SO MUCH). It was probably the most amazing thing that has happened to me in Korea. This is because I love kpop more than I love life itself. I don't know when this happened, but I seriously could listen to kpop only for the rest of my life. Okay, so that's probably not true, but I do love love love kpop. It's like I'm back to being 13 again, and it's fine by me.

SO, without any further ado, my weekend:

Saturday afternoon= Frisbee practice, as per usual, but a bit earlier, 11-1:30 or so. I leave at 1:30, and hope on the subway to World Cup Stadium to meet with Robyn, for whom I had bought an extra ticket so we could sit together. Because I had just finished playing ultimate for 2+ hours, I was sweaty and stinky and needed to shower. However, I HAD to go to the stadium to give Robyn my e-tickets for her to exchange for real tickets (see earlier post). Evidentally, I went up the wrong escalator (the hoards of hundreds of screaming fangirls made it difficult to choose what escalator I wanted to use) and I couldn't find Robyn. Soooo, I'm looking around trying to figure out where to go, when I hear shouting, "Allison Teacher, Allison teacher!!" I turn around and to my utter surprise and elation are 8 of my students, on a simultaneous sugar high and adrenaline rush due to the concert which would begin in a mere 4 hours. I asked them to guide me to where I could get my e-tickets exchanged and they guided me almost directly to Robyn. I love my students. They were so excited to see me. This is the stadium the concert was at, with the concert banners flying. Dream Concert=15 korean artists/singers/groups performing on one stage over the course of 4 hours.

I then returned to Bekah's in Noksapyeong to shower and get ready for the show. I was in quite a rush because I was nervous we would have problems exchanging the tickets or the lines would be really long and I wouldn't be able to get in. Luckily, this fear was unwarranted as neither situation came true. Hopped back on the subway to World Cup Stadium AGAIN, where I met with Robyn AGAIN and went in. I hadn't eaten much of anything all day, given that I'd been rushing around. I had had one ice cream cone, a bag of potato chips and a bowl of cereal all day, and don't forget, I had practice earlier. I figured the stadium would sell the Korean version of stadium food (idk, ddeokboggi, kimbab ppeppero and whatnot in lieu of popcorn, nachoes and crackerjacks). Unfortunately i was mistaken as all the real food had sold out (WTF, did you not realize thousands of people would be here for this event?) and all that was left was potato chips, soda and coffee. So, I dined on those items throughout the concert. Going in, we saw a cameraperson filming us walking up the stairs so we did a quick pose, waving and peace-signing to the camera. Interestingly, the lady stopped us and we did a quick interview. idk if we made it on air, but I was totally a screaming fangirl the whole time. haha. Basically my interview went: OH MY GOD! BIG BANG IS MY FAVORITE! I'M FROM FLORIDA! I LOVE KPOP! I LOVE TAEYANG! I LOVE BIG BANG! end scene. We sat down in the corner of the stadium in the setting sun, anticipating the start of the concert. The picture to the left is a good indication of where exactly our seats were in relation to the stage.

Waited around in the setting sun. Discovered that we were sitting in the midst of a couple thousand SuperJunior fanclub members. For future reference, the SuperJunior fan club is called E.L.F., which stands for (no I'm not kidding here) EverLasting Friends. Seriously. We sat with the Everlasting Friends. Oh Konglish and your ridiculous English creations. So, we sat with ELF and were given blue SuperJunior ELF balloons (so wonderful, see left) which were used to wave around in excitement the entirety of the concert. I also bought a blue superjunior glowstick (I would have liked a BigBang one, but I think some SuJu fan girls would have slit my throat at the blasphemy). I got yelled at by the girls that sat behind me because I accidentally turned my light-up glow stick on too early. I turned it on, you know, just to check it out, and the girls behind us (in their first words to us of the day) screamed Noooooooooooooooooooo! OFF OFF OFF OFF! No Now, no now! I was very embarassed and apologetic, but they were forgiving (thank goodness).

Luckily, we made friends with these girls and they instructed me precisely when to turn on and turn off my glowstick (there are very strict rules regarding this situation here). I wanted to take a picture with them, but I don't think they would have gone for it. Plus, I forgot. Also, immediately (we are talking seconds) after my glowstick faux pas, Robyn was playing with her balloon and it popped. Naturally, the manner in which it popped was most unfortunate. The balloon burst into several pieces, the largest of which nailed a fangirl in the row in front of us right in the eye. I burst out in laughter, on the verge of tears, while the girl peeled the ripped rubber balloon piece off her face. omg, freakin' waegooks (that's foreigner in korean)

Anyways, so onto to the actual show. IT WAS AMAZING. I was actually this excited to be seeing BigBang. This picture was taken the moment G-D came on. Note the glowstick. I got yelled at again to turn it off during bigbang (I had to keep it fairly quiet that I like big bang better than SuperJunior. I didn't want to lose a limb that night)

My favorite acts? 4minute (They sing Hot issue, one of the catchiest songs I know), 2ne1 (only performed 2 songs, but it was amazing), BIG BANG (omg, G-D did Heartbreaker and I cried a bit, with excitement, it was that good; then Taeyang did My Girl, and I basically had a heartattack, then they all did Lies and it was the most wonderful 3 minutes of my life). Taeyang got a lot of big screen time, and as such, I got LOTS of pictures of my boyfriend-to-be. Also, SuperJunior was amazing, and so was MCMong. He performed this catchy song that I didn't know called Circus. I'm planning on downloading that bad boy asap. Did I mention the pyrotechnics?? Best fireworks I've ever seen at a concert. Ever. It was great.

Pictures:

1. Taeyang, my boyfriend, singing LIES
2. Fireworks during Girls' Generation
3. 4minute singing Hot Issue
4. 2ne1 signing I Don't Care

After the show, I met up with frisbee people near Hongdae, at Sinchon. Everyone was hanging outside this little bar (because there were babies and the music was too loud inside the bar. This was convenient because it made it easy to find them, and it made it possible to go to the 7-11 and get some Ramyeon since I hadn't eaten anything all day. Went to the bar, had some beers, played a few rounds of flip cup, drank some more beers, danced, did a shot of tequila with anthony, danced some more. I was trying to get people to go home and get something more to eat (ramyeon didn't fully satiate my hunger) when I got tricked into doing a shot with yong. By that I mean, I go to the bar, and he's like, listen, do this shot of rum, it's not bad, and you get this orange to suck on after and it tastes pretty good. So I was like, fine fine. And then the bartender comes over with a bottle of 151, no joke, and I'm like, wait, you didn't say it was 151, and Yong was like, uh, it wasn't last time. But it was too late, the shots were poured, so I had my first ever shot of 151, and it was DISGUSTING. But, it did make me wonderfully warm and spectacularly drunk very quickly. Left the bar as a group, but everyone splintered, and I ended up at KFC with Tweezy. Perhaps this only because I was drunk, but I firmly believe that KFC in Korea is significantly better than it is in the States. had a sandwich and a soda, and then we took a cab back to Noksapyeong station and stumbled up the hill (because we didn't know bekah's actual address). Spent the night on the hardwood floor at bekahs. That was unfortunate, because I later found out there was an open bed spot.... gaaah.

Waffle Factory (again) Sunday morning for breakfast with bekah adam and tweezy (nothing like pancakes, bacon, ham and eggs to get you ready for an ultimate game). Rocked league. Had fried chicken and dominoes for dinner at the fields. Headed home.

AWESOME WEEKEND.

1 comment:

  1. i love you too! i'm very behind on reading your posts, but i'll catch up soon :)

    ReplyDelete