Monday, August 10, 2009

Goodbye Gainesville

So I'm at home. I got back yesterday early evening, after spending Friday homeless. Let me tell you, not having a house/apartment to go back to is just a crazy feeling. I drove aimlessly for a while, trying to figure out where I could go for free and occupy my time. I visited Spin Cycle and talked to Alisha for a bit. I went to Stacy's. I went to Pita Pit with Lamm. Cool thing happened there. I wasn't planning on going out to eat dinner, because I have roughly 30 dollars to my name right now. But Lamm called and said she would take me out dinner to as a going away present (hooray). I was kind of craving a tuna pita from Pita Pit, so we decided to go there. I met them, and Lamm and I walked in, while Joel stayed with Zoe (a long haired chihuahua) outside. we waited for a moment, and then began to order, but, alas, the cash register was frozen. They were trying to restart the computer and what not, but it wasn't working. Sooooooo, the manager gave us FREE pitas. HOORAY! So as it turns out, Lamm's treat ended up being free anyways.

Then I went to Dani's to get ready for my going away party. We got ready at her new apartment, and then we went over to Courtyards to finish getting everything together. People were slowly trickling in, and by 11:30 there were a ton of people there. It was really interesting because it was kind of a combination of the frisbee crowd and ELI people, but it worked out just fine. Naturally, beer pong was super popular, and people mingled at least some. Stacy and Laura ran the beer pong show for a little while, and Pav even played a game with one of my students, Diane. Meg and Pav dressed up like Koreans, and Stacy was the statue of liberty, which I LOVED. It was really fun, but very very sad at the same time. I cried three times in the course of the night, but I bucked up fairly well each time afterwards and really enjoyed my last night in Gainesville. One of my students, Alice, gave me a painting she did of a flower that is really quite pretty. I will definitely be bringing that to Korea to put up on my wall. I played lots of beer pong and got moderately drunk, and told Sarah and Nicki secrets about an ELI boy. I spoke a little bit of Spanish and a little bit of Korean and said bye to EVERYONE.

Saying goodbye to Nicki was particularly hard, as she is the one person I've known longer than pretty much ANYONE. What's crazy is I only dropped a couple tears when she actually left, but then a couple minutes later, when Alice gave me the painting, they noticed I looked a little down, and when I told them I had just said goodbye to one of my very best friends in the whole world, I started crying again. I went upstairs to put the painting with my stuff and I broke DOWN.

Regardless of the crying though, I don't think I would have wanted to have spent my last night in Gainesville doing anything else. Courtyards was my little party home, and it was only fitting that I sleep there that night.

The next morning, hungover as can be, I helped clean up Dani's apartment because they had to move out by noon. It was a little risky throwing a party the night before they had to check-out, but I would argue that it went really well.

Today I went shopping with Mom. I got a new LeSportSac tote, a coin purse, and this adorable sweater from the Gap.

1 comment:

  1. God Walf, you're making me cry again! When I got to work Saturday, my co-workers asked how my Friday night was, and I told them I went to one of my BFF 4E's going away party and I started to cry! At work! Both in the backroom and on the floor!

    ReplyDelete