Sunday, July 26, 2009

Lightning and Thunder

Today some good things happened. Today some bad things happened.

Good things:
1. My mom called to tell me that my visa came back in the mail today! This means that so long as I get my diploma by the first week of August, I can actually officially go to South Korea.
2. I got to play lots of frisbee today at Huevos en Fuego, a savage nines tournament in Gainesville.
3. My team is really fun.
4. I got this sweet wristband that has blue sequins all over it, and everyone on my team has a matching one, a la Laura.
5. I got to eat a really good pita from pita pit, mochi, and Flacos today.

Bad things:
1. My team only went 1-4 today, which is not good.
2. There was a terribly bad rain delay because there was lightning everywhere.
3. Regarding the lightning, it hit a girl at the tournament I was just at.

Yes, you did read that right. A girl got struck by lightning. It was not a direct hit, and so she survived. She was playing on the team that my team was playing against when the rain delay was called. We were all standing under this big tree for a couple minutes and then a big group of us when to a house really close by. Shortly after I got to the house, I found out that one of the girls in the group I was standing with only minutes earlier got struck by lightning while standing under that very tree. I guess what happened was lightning struck the tree and traveled down it and then up a metal shade tent they had set up and then jumped and hit her. She fell immediately to the ground and was unconscious, not breathing, and had no pulse. They did a couple chest compressions and then she finally came to and started breathing again.

She ended up going to the hospital and coming to there, but it is a crazy situation. She is still in the hospital now, as far as I know.

Anyways, that's all I've got over here. On another note, my first day of teaching is in exactly one month. Also, I leave Gainesville in less than two weeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment