Tuesday, June 23, 2009

T-minus 24 hours...

Tomorrow I leave for Colombia. I've got pretty much everything all packed up, with the exception of liquids and toiletries. Packing was fairly straightforward and simple, although I have NO idea exactly how using my new backpack will go. It's basically got just two spots for clothing, with openings at the top and bottom. It has a lot of other pockets that I'm using for little things (toiletries, socks, and wet wipes), but all my clothing is in one giant pocket that I'm nervous I'm going to have to dig through to find anything. Luckily, we're in the same place for a couple days at a time, so I should have the opportunity to keep organized.

I went to church on Sunday, which was, to say the least, an interesting experience. I haven't been to any church service since Christmas Eve, probably, and I've almost forgotten exactly how strange it can be. To tell the truth, I don't miss it. Rev. Richter gave a message about fathers, and I see where he was coming from, but I can't help but see where my opinions conflict with the church's. The idea of a male being the head of the family, and women submitting to their husbands. The idea of a husband and wife being the only way to restore American "morality". It was just a tough pill to swallow.

I saw the Michel's and Richard Smith, my old youth pastor who was in town with his youth group in Charlotte for a mission trip. It was nice to see all of them. They all seemed to be curious about what I was up to now that I've graduated and it was simultaneously nerve-wracking and invigorating to say, "you know what, I'm not sure exactly" and see the looks on their faces.

I am thrilled to be heading to Colombia. By this time tomorrow, I will be en route, about an hour from landing in Cartagena. I've been checking and double checking everything for my trip. So you know, I'm not bringing my laptop to Cartagena, and I probably won't be hitting up any internet cafes, so don't expect any updates until next Tuesday, June 30, when I return. I will be sure to take LOTS of pictures, and remember everything. I will try to write everything down the old-fashioned way so I don't forget.

xoxo,
A

No comments:

Post a Comment