Friday, October 29, 2010

A smorgasbord of things

1. Smorgasbord: I had never known how to spell this word. Thank you google for clarifying with your 'define:' search function. I also learned the correct spelling is: Smörgåsbord and that it is Sweedish, and that in Norway they actually say: koldtbord. Also, this is the title of a children's entertainment album.
A smorgasbord of children's musical fun!


2. Kitty cupcake and cake: On my 100 day anniversary with my boo, as I mentioned in a loving earlier blogpost, I got a really dope Hello Kitty cake. I ate it yesterday with him, his brother, and his brother's equally kitty loving girlfriend (저는 윤경언니같이 키티를 좋하해요! I learned this 같이 phrase yesterday while I was studying! YEAH) at the library where we were studying. It was strawberry flavored and freaking delicious. There was a big hello kitty cookie on top and it's adorable, and I simply cannot eat it, it's too cute. Half the cake still remains in my apartment fridge and must be eaten soon. Also, on the cupcakes take the cake blog, there was a featured Hello Kitty cupcake. Now, Cupcakes Takes the Cake frequently features Hello Kitty cupcakes, but usually they are particularly horrifying or just plain ugly. But these are the best ones I've seen perhaps ever on the site. They aren't perfect, but they are darn cute. Plus she's made of edible fondant. Makes me want to hop on over to etsy and snatch a dozen right on up!
vs.
No contest.


3. Pictures. I will be posting a picture a day hopefully from my school's festival and sports day. I will be using my android blogger app to post them, so hopefully there won't be any crazy mess-ups.


4. Schedule Changes. Jesus Christ, can they just tell me when a schedule changes? I mean, perhaps they try to, but I'm not sure I buy it. Granted, my CoolMessenger (the school-wide instant messenger service that is a Korean-based program) is totally broken on my computer. 50% of the time I can't even log in, and the other 50%, I log in and it registers my newest messages as being from this past April or July. Yeah, it's really helpful for me to know that last April there was some 떡 in the 교무실 that we should help ourselves to, or that there is a time change and all afternoon classes will be cancelled on July 23rd. Completely freaking ridiculous. Today, I lucked out in that my schedule change positively effects me. But, it'd be nice to know, you know, in advance, that I have my most horrid class of the day cancelled. Instead, I had to go downstairs to the 교무실 (the teacher's office) and ask, hey, guys, what's the deal? Was there a schedule change? I was just lucky that an English teacher was there for me to ask.


5. Speaking exams. My grade three students (equal to grade 8 or 9 students stateside) are doing speaking tests with me now. All students must prepare a topic and write about it on a paper and then they memorize the entire thing and recite it to me. It's not exactly the way I'd like a real speaking test to go, but memorization is the norm here. The students were given three topics and they had to choose one. The topics are: 1. What do you think is the most important job and why? 2. If you could meet anyone from the past, who would you meet and what would you ask them? and 3. If you had 1,000,000 won what would you buy and why? The selection has been pretty evenly spread across the three topics, which reassures me that the topics I selected are fair and mostly equal. The 1000000 won question seems the most popular, but only slightly (maybe just about 40% of the students have chosen this topic) but also the most troublesome as 50 percent of the students don't know how to say 1,000,000 in english. Instead, they just say 1 billion, or 1 hundred thousand. I feel like they should figure out how to say, you know, the central words of their speech at least. But oh well. Teacher is the overwhelmingly most popular choice for most important job (followed closely by doctor). Also, three students (the first three students to do their speeches) selected King Sejong to be the person they'd most like to meet.

That's all for now folks


xoxo
A

No comments:

Post a Comment