Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Some things

So I just wanted to take another break from posting our last day in Shanghai in order to share some things.

1. World Cup.

Korea won. 대~한민국!!! I tried to go to City Hall with Miranda to watch the game (ok, really it was so I could see Big Bang who was going to have an appearance at 5 before the game). We got to city hall at 11 and it was raining and there were not many people at all there. We got a bite to eat and I bought an umbrella and a red poncho and we got in the short line. We saw a bunch of big bang fan club vip girls. THey saw us and asked, Big Bang see? And we said yessss. And they said, no come, and formed the x with their hands that is a universal no sign. But they were still waiting so we thought maybe there was a miscommunication. We asked another guy if big bang would come and he said, at 5. So we sat down in some grass and started playing Go-Stop. We got confirmation that Big Bang was no going to be there, but we were playing go-stop, and it wasn't a big deal. It was raining a bit. Then we met two Korean guys who were impressed by my go-stop skills. And they joined in on the fun. Then it started raining a lot. After two hours in the rain, Miranda and I left, defeated. We went to Myeongdong and I got a red striped shirt to show my korean patriotism during the game. I watched the Korea game at Dillinger's, a frisbee favorite haunt. Then went to street stalls for food after the game, plus then Candacee's for relaxing and trying to stay awake and eating popcorn and squid and playing dice. We played dice even through Yong dropping one out of the window and therefore making the game a bit more tricky. Then Rocky Mountain Tavern for the USA v. England game. It was really hard to stay awake since the game started at 3:30 a.m. my time. By the second half, I felt like I was gonna die. I was nodding off and barely made it. By miracle, USA pulled out a tie (as I'm sure you all know) due to a big mistake by England's keeper. But anyways, I'm rooting for Korea, so I guess it doesn't really matter.
This is how I felt when I found out I couldn't see my 대성이.

These are the 천원 (1000 won) bets that the boys made on everything from who would have the next corner kick to which coach would get the next close-up on camera.
2. Tutoring

The gentleman I tutor here is a funny man. He is as old as my parents but he seems nice enough. He has lived in Incheon pretty much his whole life (minus a 10 or so year stint in Australia). When he was young (high school age) Incheon was obviously a much smaller city. He still keeps in touch with a number of his high school/middle school friends. As I had mentioned a bit ago, election day was a couple weeks ago. He had three friends running for seats in the city council and another running for something he called the manager of the district. It seems like some sort of mayorship role, but for a district. I don't know what the word is. The district is Yeonsu-dong, which is where Songdo is. Songdo is a huge area Incheon is pouring money into calling it an international free economic zone. Incheon is banking on Songdo becoming the biggest port area in East Asia. As such, construction in that area is booming. The man I tutor works in a granite import/export company (by works in I mean is the CEO of), and he has a decent amount of work largely in Songdo. He said to me, "my friend in Yeonsu-dong he is a good man. much better thn the city council friends. Honest. No bribes." I responded well, that's good. An honest politician is hard to come by. He said, "yes, I had dinner with him the other night. Big dinner. I pay. And I say to him, friend, you send business people to me. I work for you. He must because I always buy him dinner last year when he had no job. He must."

I laughed.

3. I got a new tattoo. I'm going to hold off on posting pictures because people read this who don't necessarily need to see my new tattoo (read: my parents and the occasional student). Don't worry Mom & Pops, I didn't get a naked she-devil tattoo or anything. Not anything to bizarro. Just some flowers. It's just that they're big, colored, and currently super painful. Like wrecking my life painful. Like I literally lept for joy when I discovered I couldn't tutor because the man had to meet with a business partner because it mean that I could lay under the a/c and hope to escape the fire-y burning that is overwhelming me.

4. My students made these awesome pictures for parents' day which was like a million years ago, but my school didn't get around to putting up the posters until way afterwards (anyone surprised? not me), but they are pretty cool. My students can draw. They are all grade 1&2 middle school. One of the pictures, the one with the frog, references this Korean story I read for homework when my co-teacher gave me that children's story book. I was proud of myself for understanding! *^__^*

Oh, and I saw this out my window last night. Thought I'd share. A bit blurry, but it was the nicest sunset I'd seen from my window so far.


xoxo
A

No comments:

Post a Comment