Saturday, June 19, 2010

Hip Hop Playas vol. 37

So one of my recently created like goals has been completed. Tonight I saw Dumbfoundead live in concert. Man, he really is the bomb. I've mentioned him before, in previous posts, but he is so awesome he definitely deserves more attention on my blog and in the general hip hop scene as well.

Anyways, me and Miranda went to see the HipHopPlayas.com show this weekend. I was initially going to go with Andre, but he bitched out on me. So I called Miranda and told her there would be lots of hot Korean dudes at this show and she was sold. So we headed out around 5 from Incheon.

Got to Hongdae at about quarter to 6. Scarfed some BK down and headed to the show. It was difficult to figure out how to get in, but we figured it out.

By the time we had gotten there, it was pretty much packed. We saw Hot Clip perform first. They are NOT hot chip, the American group, but they are still good. One of the guys (Beatbox BG) beatboxed for a while. That was pretty tight. And Beenzino spat some fire. It was definitely a good start.

Then (I think) B-Free performed (I could be mixing up the order of Hot Clip and B-Free, it's hard to remember exactly). B-Free was cool, but I don't remember much of the performance.

Then, the highlight of the night. Dumb and DJ Zo!

I pretty much lost it as soon as I saw DJ Zo... (너무 멋있어요! 사랑해요 오빠!!)  They set up a different computer and I was just gaaaaaaaah! ZO~~~~!! He was so sexy on the tables, hat backwards and just killing it. And then Dumb came on. His first song was Bullets of Truth, one of my favorite songs by him. Then (I think) he did She Don't Care, which is my favorite song on the Fun With Dumb album (buy here-- support a bomb-ass rapper). DJ Zo then scratched a bit. This was probably my favorite part of the whole show. Really, it kicked ass. Then Dumb did Mr. Nice Guy off of his latest album Clockwise with Wax (man if only Wax would come to Korea, now THAT would be tight). I also really love this song. It's just so fun and cool. Everyone around me was like da-yumm, that girl is fuckin' crazy. I was gettin' down on this song. Then Dumb did Clouds. Everyone at the show lost it because that's the song that DFD did with Jay Park. And of course, everyone loves Jay. There were desperate squeals of girls hoping that Jay would just walk out. I mean, I was kind of holding out a tiny hope in the back of my head.that he would, but I wasn't holding my breath. If he HAD come, I would have lost it and so would have EVERYONE and then I would be able to rub it in my students faces HARD. Honestly, Clouds isn't my favorite song in the world. I love watching Jay dance, and he is a talented singer. But, I'm just not the biggest fan in the world of his rhymes. They're just kind of average for me. But Dumb just performed his verse, which was fine by me. Last song was Vacation Song, which is a song I really like. I don't know it as well as I know his other songs, but it is a really great song. I'm a little bummed he didn't sing Pushin' which is pretty much my favorite song ever by Dumb. Also, I really like Cockblockers because it's just such a funny awesome song. But, I was still so thrilled to have seen Zo and Dumb in concert. There was some Dumb freestyling mixed in somewhere, and I may have mixed up the order of a song or two, but that's the set to the best of my memory. The freestyling was pretty awesome. It was Konglish/English/Korean and I was pretty amped because I understood a good bit of it, even the Korean shit. p.s. I love it when Dumb pantomines being an orchestra conductor on stage when Zo is scratching and he isn't singing. It's so funny/awesome.

Anyways, then MYK performed. He wrecked it, but unfortunately there was some kind of strange miscommunication/problem with the dj-ing. I can't tell if it was an issue with the dj or with the tables or what. It was strange. It was a bummer because it was on the last song. Anyways, MYK is fucking tight.

The Quiett performed next. I don't know him as well as MYK or DOK2, but I've heard some of his shit and thought it was tight. He looked a lot different than I expected. Like smaller or something. I dunno. He was also all blinged out which was kind of weird. But his set was really good and I enjoyed that.

Double K was up next. This set was easily the most energetic. It helps having more people on the stage (there were three of them on stage, which is misleading because Double K is just one person). I don't really know him AT ALL. But his shit rocked. I'm definitely going to find his shit and buy it all up.

Then last, but certainly not least was DOK2. One of my students, Chaeyoung loves him. Like a lot. He started the show by throwing hats out into the crowd. That was cool. Unfortunately I was too far away to see that. Dok2's set was really fun also. I knew a few of the songs, and he had lots of stage presence too.

Then, everyone came out for an encore which was really awesome because they sang lots of the map the soul songs and freestyled. I also almost got my head chopped off my a ninja star-like DJ Zo cd. It brushed the side of my face as I ducked away, and it hit the wall and landed right at my feet. Jackpot!

After the show I stayed a bit and had dumb sign my ticket and zo sign that cd he tossed at my face. They seemed really cool and I got a picture with Zo, so that was cool. People were all losing it over Dumb. All I could hear was screams of 오빠! 오빠! over and over. The best part was that DUMB KNEW WHO I WAS from twitter/facebook. omg love it! I will see them again at their next show July 2nd. I can't wait!

Now I'm just chillin' at Lemon PC 방 waiting for my peeps to get to Hongdae so we can hit Ska2 and get our dance on! ^_^

1 comment:

  1. Oh Wally, you're so hood. Is Ska2 a place that like actually plays ska music?

    ReplyDelete