Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Car and Driver

On my way to work every morning, I must walk on a sidewalk beside a small road that leads to my school. My school is tucked back behind some apartments and government buildings and there is a small street leading to it from the main road. This street is just one lane each direction, with speed bumps intended to encourage drivers to proceed with caution. Between the hours of 7:45 and 8:30, this street is teeming with students. Between my school, the boys middle school next door and the elementary school just a bit further down the road, there are easily 1000+ students (I'm guessing here... my school and the boys school each have 700 students, plus the elementary school, with most walking) walking this street to their respective schools. Only one side of the street has a sidewalk, and so students must cross the street (from the apartment building entrances) to walk safely. Generally the students walk on the sidewalks but when there are too many students (or piled-up snow on the sidewalk), some may walk on the shoulder of the street.

It is thoroughly disconcerting the speed at which most of these cars drive. some of the apartment entrances that the students walk out of are blind turns, making it extremely difficult for them to see oncoming traffic. Cars speed by, hardly slowing at all for the speed humps, and blaring their horn as if to warn the 7 year-olds, "if you don't get out of my way, you're roadkill"

It totally freaks me out. Today, I saw some girls peaking around their blind corner at the entrance to their apartment complex as an SUV came barreling down the street. They lept back as the horn let off a lengthy screeching "outta my way" warning to the students.

There are 6 year olds walking to school on this street. Have some care, you imbeciles. That could be your kid you nearly miss as you rush to beat the traffic to your shitty desk job.

No comments:

Post a Comment