Thursday, February 11, 2010

Bangkok Hat Tournament

If you don't read this post, at least please scroll down to the bottom of this post and watch the video. Seriously, you won't regret it. Or maybe you totally will. Warning: it's in korean, but I don't think that matters (there are vietnamese subtitles too, if that'll help anyone).

So Saturday morning, got up bright and early to head over to the fields. We had to be at the fields at about 7:30 a.m. We met up with Sam at 7 at Suk 11, and grabbed a taxi to the fields, which were on an army base type thing. There were lots of people carrying around m16s and shit.

Anyways, got my jersey, and watched Sam's first game, since Bekah, Adam & I all had first round byes. We warmed up a bit together, then parted ways for our own games. My team was composed of players from all over Asia, including people from: Korea/US (me), Japan, China, Singapore, Malaysia, Philippines, Thailand and Australia. That was pretty tight. Our team had a lot of potential to be quite good (individually a number of pretty good players) but we just never really hit our stride at all, and really never clicked as a team, which is unfortunate because the people on my team were really really cool.

We played four games on Saturday and went 2-2. Not terrible, not great.

One thing I would like to say about the Bangkok Hat Tournament is that it was expensive, but good god do they take care of you. For my 70 USD, I got 2 days of ultimate, a disc, a jersey, a t-shirt, the most amazing electrolyte replenisher in the whole world (I think I nearly overdosed on day one.... there is a three pack/day maximum, I had my three... felt GREAT!), bags, lotion (omg, it smells so good), two parties (one which was BANGIN') plus tons of delicious thai and western food. On Saturday AND Sunday we had lunch AND dinner provided for us, and that was awesome. I pretty much stuffed my face the entire weekend. Whenever I wasn't playing I was doing one of two things: eating food, or downing electrolyte replenishers like fun dip candy (that's EXACTLY what it tasted like).

After play on Saturday, headed back to Suk 11 to shower up and get ready to hit up the party. Theme was old school, so we were supposed to dress up like someone from the past, but I didn't really do that. I did a half-assed 80s impression. I just wanted to look cute for once in Thailand. And I did, if I do say so myself.

At the party, they had free finger foods, plus pretty much all the alcohol you can stomach and then some. There were jello shots and local beer, plus free wells/shots all night, PLUS an ice luge. Needless to say, I drank my fair share (although, in my defense I hadn't had so much as one sip of alcohol the whole trip up to this point).

Games all day Sunday. My team sucked it up. 1-2, not so hot.

Sunday evening bekah and adam left, so I was alone. T_T Well, not really because I made new friends! I had to check into my new hostel (it sucked, soi 1 guesthouse, don't stay there), and then I went back to Suk 11 to meet up with Alvin. Alvin is from KL and played on my team at the hat. We walked around and got mcdonalds for dinner (samurai pork burger is almost the same as the korean bulgogi burger) and then he helped me bargain for gifts for my coteachers. He was much better at bargaining than I was, so we got a good deal, and continued on. Just kind of wandered around Bangkok and ended up taking the subway back to Sukhumvit road, where we were both staying. Said goodbyes.

Monday morning, woke up, mis-read the time, took a taxi to the airport, saw a motorcade for the kings family and a terribly bad car wreck, and arrived at the airport four hours early for my flight.

As wonderful as Thailand was, I sure was glad to get back to Korea.

Now, what you've all really been waiting for. I swear to god, Big Bang is the most amazing thing ever put on this earth. Seriously, god help me if I ever see any of them walking down the street. For evidence, this video:


[Vietsub] Big Bang - Intimate Note Ep 2 [360kpop] - 3/7
Uploaded by 360kpopmv. - Click for more funny videos.

1 comment:

  1. all that swag + food for $70 sounds like a sweet deal. my fav new thing is the luna sport electrolyte chews; so delicious!

    p.s. the ice luge makes me even more jealous of your thailand trip. always wanted to do shots from an ice luge..

    ReplyDelete