Friday, February 19, 2010

An assortment

So today I got off work early. My co-teacher, whom I call Mrs. Oh and is like my second mom, asked the vice-principal if I could go home early today. He said yes, so here we are.

So at about 12:30 I left school, with my new stuffed giraffe (thanks mom&dad!) under my arm. Got home, dropped off giraffe-y poo, and headed back out in search of food. I didn't really want korean food (even though I had some of the best donkasu in my life near Arts Center yesterday before Korean class) so I was kind of on the hunt for something different. I went to Sorrento (this mediocre italian chain) but the waiters were nowhere to be found, so I didn't get seated and I bounced.

While walking around, I almost gave up and headed to the nearest korean restaurant, but luck smacked me right in the face. Well, almost. I saw this japanese restaurant and walked towards it, but it was almost empty, and there were lots of plaques that certified the restaurant was "good for international visitors" which basically means is over-priced and not very good, so I quickly walked away. While headed away from the japanese restaurant, I stumbled across a sign that read La Famiglia. ITALIAN food! Well, here, italian food is usually a shot in the dark. More often than not it's pretty sub-par or just average and really really expensive. I was feeling optimistic though. Walked over, and headed up the stairs. I was pleasently surprised to see the red painted walls on the stairwell up, decorated with small pictures of various pasta dishes and a worn white metal banister. Went inside and found a restaurant that was small (max seating: 30 maybe) and cozy, without being overly done-up or cutesy, the eternal blessing and curse of Korea. White walls, blue plush chairs, snapshots of the restaurants OWN food, small pots of herbs on a wide, bright windowsill, and four glass jars of various pastas: ziti, bowtie, spaghetti, and the like. I ordered the Pane (pasta alfredo in a bread bowl) and a cider. This was the lunch special. For 11,000 won, I had a hearty pasta dish with a just spicy enough alfredo sauce and a mildly sweet bread bowl. Another couple who was there ordered a pizza that looked positively DELISH. The only real downside was that the garlic bread they also gave me was painfully sweet, as is traditional and accepted here in the land of the morning calm (and sugar and garlic combinations). I had a wonderful lunch, alone, but wrapped up in John Steinbeck's Cannery Row which thus far has been nothing less than a beautiful piece of fiction just like all of his other works, which I'm truly falling in love with.

Here are the pictures for you ravenous people you:
 

Afterwards I did my usual, that is, studying Korean at a coffee shop for a couple hours. Here are some various pictures I've taken over the last few days/weeks, but haven't yet posted anywhere.
you know, this is how ALL my afternoons look these days. Earmuffs, coffee, korean. Add an ipod to the mix and you've got it!

 
Early morning on my walk to work. You can see the moon.

 
 
These are the Valentines I made for my friends here in Incheon. The one on the left is a BIG BANG card, and the one on the right, 2PM. Kpop reppin'

 
 
I'm finally figuring out how to do my own-make-up. My hair, which is crazy here, is a different story. This was when I went to the club the day before v-day.

 
 
Mmmmm, Valentines Day Dinner at Outback

 
 
Converse shoe sculpture (it's suppose to look like a converse shoe) at COEX mall in Seoul.

That's it for me here!

xoxo
A 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment