Monday, November 30, 2009

Thanksgiving and such

Well, things have been really really busy here. As I mentioned in my last post, I undertook the ridiculous task of cutting out roughly 3000 feather for my students hand turkeys. 15 headaches, 5 paper cuts, at least a dozen severe hand cramps, and many many hours of mindless cutting later, I have to say, it was worth it. My students created some amazing things, some hilarious things, and some just plain off-beat things. I'll post my favorites here.

First, some pictures from my classroom with hand turkey decorations. Mind you that this is with four or five piles of hand turkeys from my Friday classes not hung up.

There is still a full wall you cannot see, plus the backs of the two doors.
And some of my personal favorites:

Clearly, my students are adorable. I don't care that this turkey looks like a chicken and has chicken babies. It's just so darn cute.

Fo real, that turkey is FLYYYYYY.

This is 100% typical. Click on the picture to see a bigger version, but if you look, it is essentially a shrine to YG Family which is the entertainment company that owns BigBang and 2ne1. Also, note the appropriate use of gobble gobble gobble, which I taught them!! Also, the words on the body of the turkey are the names of the members of BigBang: GD(or G-Dragon), T.O.P., D-light (a.k.a Daesung [who is the least popular]), Victory (or Seung-Ri who is the cutest little guy in the world), and my personal favorite Sun (a.k.a. Taeyang a.k.a. Young Bae, which is his real name, and omg, watch this video [complete with English subs] and tell me you don't want to eat him up)







These two girls clearly understood that on Thanksgiving we eat this bird we were creating. I think they were feeling compassionate for the poor guys, and made them sad. The one on the right's caption is, "I'm eat" So her grammar isn't perfect, but you get the idea.

Clearly, this student simply didn't understand the premise. It's not halloween. It could be some abstract work, though. Something about the surreal realization that your senses, your very being is light as a feather and floating on the wind like spirits in the night.

This is one of my favorites. My student said to me, "teacher? Have to turkey? I turkey no." And I said, well, that's kind of the point. And she said, "Teacher, indian" and promptly made this. So creative and still related to the holiday, even in its moderately derogatory characterization of native peoples.

Turkeys in love. Or should I say chickens in love? This was a big problem with my students. Turkeys don't really exist here, so they weren't 100% sure what they were drawing. Women and men are the arrows.

"Not chicken. I'm turkey." That just about sums it up, although I'd like to point out the oddly shaped egg in the bottom left corner.


So, that was my week. Details about my Thanksgiving dinner(s) coming soon.

I'll leave you with these tidbits:
1. On Sunday I got really mad at an old lady because she bowed me in the head while I was sleeping on the subway so that she could put her hand precisely where my head was resting in a peaceful slumber. There were about 2 dozen other locations she could have equally comfortably rested her hand,but she clearly saw that my spot was the most comfortable and decided she had to have it.
2. Today I raked in the goodies. I got 2 boxes of ddeok (korean rice cakes, which unfortunately I'm quite picky about), 2 bottles of juice (grape and orange) AND a coffee from a student complete with a note that reads: "Allison Teacher~ I love you with hearts and more of these: ~~

xoxo
A

2 comments:

  1. I love love love the chicken turkeys!! :) So cute.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Laughed out loud over your captions. Those pictures are precious.

    ReplyDelete