Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Here are more samples of why my school is awesome.

So this post is dedicated to ShinHeung Girls' Middle School and the awesome-ness of my co-workers, students, and staff.

Reasons why my school rocks:

1. Cafeteria lunch is consistently AWESOME. I hope I am not jinxing myself when I say this, but seriously. They serve the teachers exactly what they serve the students, and oh my god, it's delicious. Naturally, there are the usuals: rice (loads of it... I eat soooo much), kimchi'd something (cabbage, radishes, etc), and some kind of soup (today= budae chigaee or soldier soup, which has kimchi, hot dogs, and these little peanut shaped rice cakes that are seriously the most delicious thing in all of Korea). Plus, always another side (sprouts, noodles, fried squash, sauteed veggies, etc) and some kind of meat dish (fish, pork and potatoes, chicken, pot stickers, sweet and sour chicken). It's so much food, and it's as much as your little heart desires. Probably every other day there is also some kind of extra treat (banana milk, apples, fruit salad, fruit juice, etc).

2. My students are hilarious. They write me notes in class sometimes. Let me rephrase this, one class had about 4 students who wrote notes to me. They all say essentially the same thing, To: English Teacher~~ Hi teacher! My name is ________. 1st grade, 5 class. Teacher, you very tall. Teacher very very cute. I'm is very short. (korean sad face: T.T)
Sometimes there will be some variation, such as when one student wrote, " teacher!! I like black people!! Please. introduce me to black people~/" HILARIOUS. Seriously.

Plus my students come into my office still during lunch or after school. They come chat about all sorts of different things, and they love gossiping with me, or playing games and stuff. I have them help me with my cyworld, and we talk about kpop sometimes.

3. I have been able to get really involved really quickly. I work some Saturdays at a special program in Chinatown. And I'm doing a dance for and English festival at the end of October. We're doing a dance to High School Musical's "School's Out" that is going to be awesome. The students worked on the choreography for the dance, and we practice ALL the time, which is really fun. They always bring snacks, which are delicious, and terrible for me. They always give me the biggest piece, which is ridiculous. They are really patient with my terrible dancing and memory for the moves. Plus, they are really hardworking and dedicated to making the dance as awesome as possible. It's 7 Grade 3's, and they are WONDERFUL. Love the crap out of them. The pictures are of the girls I'm doing the dance with.

4. My co-teachers treat me like I am their child. Since I don't speak Korean and don't have any idea what the hell I'm doing with life here, they step me through everything. My co-teacher has bought my Dream Concert tickets on gmarket (a Korean language only ebay/ticketmaster/amazon combination), called for directions and instructions for getting my phone fixed, paying my bills, showed me the bus schedules and how they all work, and then does all my paperwork and such for me. Another co-teacher of mine invites me for coffee in her office every day. She got me an electric teapot in my classroom. She burnt me a dvd with three different movies on it (district 9, sunshine cleaning, and 17 again). She made me a stamp that says "I love English" and has my name on it for me to use in class (OMG LOVE!). Then they all translate everything everyone else says for me so that I can understand all the compliments everyone showers on me on a daily basis.

5. This picture. ahahahaha. The arrow is pointing in the general direction of the school. ahahahahaha again.

So yeah.

xoxo,
A

1 comment:

  1. I loved Sunshine Cleaning! And I have a mad crush on Zac Efron. I recently re-Netflix'ed 17 Again just so I can drool over Zac for 90 minutes! And District 9 was a really good movie!

    ReplyDelete